What’s the average length of stay for your facility? The average in our hospital ranges between 10-15 days so discharges are constantly rolling around. We place a heavy emphasis on thorough discharge planning and patient/family education to optimize the transition back home after a hospitalization.
This discussion-based activity…
- encourages patients to plan ahead, review their progress and improve awareness of strengths/weaknesses prior to discharge home.
- helps to wrap up educational points and brainstorm functional carryover opportunities for trained strategies
- anticipate and plan for problematic situations
- breaks down short term goals into achievable steps at home
The completed form can be attached to a memory book, given to a caregiver for implementation or to the home health SLP.
- Executive Functioning (planning, self-awareness, goal setting)
- Problem Solving & Safety (decision making, anticipation, solution generation)